Rise’s Legislative Priorities
Rise unlocks potential and opens doors to success for people with disabilities or other challenges through creative solutions and customized support. We are committed to giving people living with disabilities a range of choices and providing opportunities for them to live a life filled with purpose.
This legislative session Rise is supporting the legislation brought forth by Best Life Alliance.
The main goals of this legislation are:
- Passing a wage increase for our direct care workers and other human services staff.
- Changing the current inflation rate adjustment from every five years to every two years.
- Securing funding to sustain and expand opportunities and choices for the people we serve.
Opportunities to Get Involved
There are a number of ways to get involved in the legislative process, whether you are a person with a disability, a loved one, someone who works in disability services, or just a caring member of the community.
Advocating on behalf of yourself or others can be scary, but it’s actually easy and can be fun too! Below is a list of ways you can get involved in advocacy:
- Know who your legislators are. If you aren’t sure, you can click here and put in your home address. These are the people that will be voting on legislation that impacts you, and they are the best people to reach out to.
- Contact your legislators to let them know what is important to you! Maybe you care most about DT&H, or our Deaf, Deaf-Blind and Hard of Hearing programs. Whatever it is, let your legislators know that it has made a difference in your life. If you aren’t sure what to say, you can look at the scripts we have drafted (HERE). Below we have provided you with information about contacting the Governor’s office, as well as a link to the State Legislator website, where you can search for your representative and get their contact information.
- Learn about events happening at the capitol that you may want to attend. ARRM/MOHR’s Day at the Capitol is March 13th! More information about it can be found here. To register, email Rachel with your name and, if you’d like to meet with your legislator, include your home address and the district you live in. Registration is encouraged for everyone but is only necessary if you would like an appointment with your legislator.
- Become an Advocacy Volunteer! We are always looking for volunteers who are interested in advocating on behalf of the people we serve. For more information about becoming an advocacy volunteer, contact Zoe, Rachel, or Jackie.
- Attend a letter writing workshop or another Rise supported training session. Information about opportunities like this will be posted on our Facebook page. Click here to visit our page and like us.
Contact Your Legislators:
Governor Dayton’s Office